Your Swansea City headlines for Thursday, June 30.
Portsmouth boss Danny Cowley is determined to bolster his side's attack with just a month to go until the new season gets under way.
Pompey play their first pre-season fixture of the summer against Havant & Waterlooville this weekend, although they do not have a recognised striker in their squad ahead of the fixture at The Westleigh. The League One side have shown an interest in Swansea trio Kyle Joseph, Morgan Whittaker and Liam Cullen, with all three of those players unlikely to be given prominent roles by Russell Martin in south Wales next term.
And Cowley says that, in an ideal world, he would have four forwards in his ranks. "Our major focus is at the top end of the pitch and we are working hard to bring a forward department together," he told The News.
READ MORE:Swansea City transfer news as duo attract interest, starlet signs contract and ex-Swan responds to 'false accusations'
"We have no recognised forwards at this level in the building, we have known this for a long time now. In an ideal world we would like to have four. For us, three would work.
"We are working exceptionally hard behind the scenes. The club is clear on the profile of players we’d like to bring in and I know they are working really hard to make this possible.
"We’re in the early phase of the transfer window. Our ambition is to do our work as quickly as we possibly can because the sooner we can get the group together, the more chance we have of being successful."
Gareth Ainsworth says Adebayo Akinfenwa is welcome back at Wycombe Wanderers any time after he called time on his career.
The former Swansea striker retired from football following the Chairboys' League One play-off final defeat to Sunderland at Wembley in May following a lengthy career in the game. And boss Ainsworth - who has just signed a one-year contract extension at Adams Park - says Wycombe would not be where they are today without the influence of Akinfenwa.
"Bayo, if you're watching this, you're welcome back any time, I might need you," he said on Sky Sports News. "He's an inspiration to the boys. He's going on to big things I'm sure. He's a player you can't replace. There's no point in trying to get the next Akinfenwa, he doesn't exist.
"He's give us so many goals in his EFL career, we wouldn't be here without Akinfenwa. We wish him all the best. If you're watching this, you're welcome back any time."
The League One side have been linked with a move for ex-Swan Alfie Mawson of late. The defender left Swansea in 2018 following the club's relegation from the Premier League, although he has endured difficult spells with Fulham and Bristol City due to injury.
Mawson is now a free agent, and Ainsworth revealed he has held talks with the 28-year-old over a potential return to the club he joined on loan from Brentford during the 2014/15 campaign. "Apparently he was training with us last week but we weren't training then," admitted Ainsworth.
"I'm not saying I've not contacted Alfie, we're friends since he was here all those years ago. A fit Alfie Mawson, wow, what a player. We're in contact, watch this space."
SIGN-UP:Get the latest Swansea City news and stories into your inbox every day for FREE!
Ben Lloyd says Swansea's training camp at Pennyhill Park was hugely beneficial ahead of the new campaign.
The 17-year-old - who has just signed his first professional contract with the Swans - was one of a number of young players who linked up with Russell Martin's squad for the week-long stint in Bagshot. And the boyhood Swan admits the style of play implemented by Martin at the top level - which has been filtered down the age grades by others including Kris O'Leary - is perfect for his strengths.
“The style suits me here, I love working with the coaches here and I am loving every minute," he said. “We had a great week in Pennyhill last week, I am feeling great and keen to keep working hard.”
READ MORE:Piroe and Downes resolutions plus Allen answer - What needs to happen over the next 30 days at Swansea City
Fenerbahce have received a bid worth €4m for Dimitris Pelkas, according to reports.
The 26-year-old was reportedly attracting interest from Championship trio Swansea, Hull City and Queens Park Rangers amid uncertainty around his future in Turkey. However, Turkish news agency DHA claim Fenerbahce have now received a significant offer from Italy for the services of Pelkas.
The fees suggested would be well out of Swansea's price range at present, particularly given their desire to free up funds through player sales to plug a financial hole in addition to helping further strengthen the squad.
To continue reading please choose to download our free app, or visit the original website.